Quite often we approach solving problems very myopically, so much so that we can miss components that appear to have no relation to answer, but play a powerful role in the solution. Such is the case with recovery from porn addiction. I’d like to list ten ways to holistically approach porn addiction recovery in the hopes of shedding a fresh light on a frustrating topic.
1. Exercise your body: giving blood to your brain is a good thing. Find an exercise you like to do, at your level that breaks a sweat at least 3-5 times a week. Body and mind are very connected.
2. Read good books: getting lost in an uplifting, enjoyable novel or self-help book can be a change from the same old thing.
3. Do a kind act for someone once a day: Porn sucks one into a world of selfishness. Without taking thought consciously for others you’ll risk a pitfall into loneliness or depression.
4. Hit your knees and take up prayer: to open yourself up spiritually to a higher power and the pure intelligence that can come from such a connection is at the heart of any recovery.
5. Be industrious: it’s different for everyone, but make sure your time is filled with work that benefits others, energizes you keeper idleness from flooding you with all kinds of temptations and urges.
6. Consider an internet break: a little fast can help you gain perspective and if this is where your problem is will give your some sobriety and time to think about your recovery.
7. Drop the hard music and grab a classical CD or two. Peaceful music has been shown to calm the body and ease stress and merry.
8. Meditation: Breath in and out. Learn to relax man, you’re too uptight!
9. Daily Structure: This can help you get in positive routines that can keep you out of trouble.
10. Positive imaging: Call it visualizing, imaging or whatever else you want, but spending time daily to bring good feelings and pictures into our minds charges us with ability and confidence that leads to better tackling of challenges.
You may feel the need to do all of these. If you’re good at beating yourself up when you don’t do something and you’re know to take on too much at once, pick one to start with. Do it daily for a week, then as you feel good about it, move on to another.
To learn more about sexual addiction recovery sign up below for a free mini-course that teaches principles that have helped thousands recover in clinical settings.